Community & consumers
The Telethon Kids Institute is building partnerships with health
consumers and the community through its joint consumer and
community involvement program with the School of Population Health
at The University of Western Australia.
The Consumer and Community Involvement Program, which is unique in Australia, is focused on increasing consumer and community involvement in the research programs at the Institute.
Learn more about our community involvement work by watching this video at telethonkidstv.org.au
Consumer and community involvement is about:
- Consumers, community members and researchers working together to shape decisions about research priorities, practice and policies.
- It is an active partnership that is sensitive to changing needs and priorities.
- It is about being part of the process as well as observing or commenting.
- Conducting research that is with the community rather than to or for the community.
- It is about consumers and community members being part of the process as well as observing or commenting, it is not about them being participants (taking part in) of the research.
The Consumer and Community Involvement Program includes:
- Training on consumer and community involvement for researchers and community members
- Involving consumers and community members in research decision making processes
- A Consumer and Community Participation Policy
- Find resources & more information: www.involvingpeopleinresearch.com
The Consumer and Community Advisory Group
In response to organisational restructuring the Consumer and Community Advisory Council, which was established in 2006, was reconfigured to reflect the new Research Focus Area structure. The membership of the new Consumer and Community Advisory Group will be drawn from the consumer and community representatives on the Research Focus Area Steering Committees. The Consumer and Community Advisory Group's aim will be to enhance the quality and relevance of research undertaken at the Telethon Kids Institute to the community of Western Australia.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the many consumers and community members who served on the Consumer and Community Advisory Council.
The Telethon Kids Institute, in conjunction with The University of Western Australia's School of Population Health, has developed a number of resources to support increased consumer and community involvement in health research.
This is in direct response to requests from researchers, consumers and community members who have attended our training programs and have requested more support for involving people in research.
All of our resources are written in plain language so that they can be easily understood by any reader.
- The Fact Sheet Series is a resource that has been developed in response to requests from researchers for short simple 'tools' to support the implementation of consumer and community involvement in health research.
- McKenzie & Hanley, (2007) Consumer and Community Participation in Health and Medical Research, A practical guide for health and medical research organisations. Also known as 'The Green Book', this comprises a practical guide to establishing consumer and community involvement at an organisational level as well as providing guidance and sharing experience of involving people in individual research projects.